Friday, May 20, 2011

BIG & Little!

 This is all about my "little sister" Ashley!

The last couple of years I have been thinking of becoming part of Big Brothers Big Sisters and when I moved to Austin I decided to go ahead and make it happen. I don't remember how I found out about the organization or why I wanted to be a part of it, but I'm glad to be involved!

I met Ashley in September of 2010 and we have been having loads of fun ever since. She is a crazy energetic, very smart, talk til' she drops, ball of 7 year old joy. It amazes me every day the things that young kids think about and I love their honesty, though brutal at times ;). We hang out about once a week and do whatever sounds like a good time to Ashley. We love the movies, the Zoo, the park, coloring, making yummy desserts and oh so much more! Mya, my dog, is a little afraid of her (I think the excitement is a bit much =)), but Ashley loves taking her for walks and making her do tricks. I guess Mya will just have to deal.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of impact I am having on her and if I am making a difference. I try to be a good role model in everything we do. I even set up our dates on a monthly "budget" so she knows things cost money. She knows we're on a budget but I don't think she gets the concept of where this magic money comes from. It just appears every month in her eyes, ha! One step at a time I suppose. I hope little lessons like this will help her to mold into a strong teen and adult.  I can only hope that as she gets older and has to go through all the troubles middle school and high school bring I can be there help her make the right choices. I think I lived in a bubble as a child but it terrifies me that she's only 7 and talking about boyfriends and girl fights?!?! That seems crazzzy to me! I know that our talks will soon be rougher than slug bug competitions and playground drama but I'm excited to be part Ashley's life and aspire to make a diffrence in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment